Wednesday, April 21, 2010

State of the Blog!

This is my first Bookshopaholic post! I am kind of crazy-excited! But first I want to outline some things.

My name is Aja, which is pronounced "Asia," like the continent or the Steely Dan album. I live in Coastal Virginia on a riverside waterfront, over a trufax nautical steampunk shop. I've been casually watching book blogs and writing blogs and agent blogs and editor blogs and author blogs for about a year and a half. Fandom is what brung me, so my reactions to things that I read are by and large fandom-oriented.

Fandom, at least my part of it, tends to be fairly progressive (though we are not without our faults, especially as regards our reception of minority and female characters). We tend to be uber-critical of the source material and uber-enthusiastic when we love something.

So, all that being said, here's a list of things you can possibly expect this blog and/or its writer to do:
  • Be pretty blunt when I don't like something.
  • Critique the text through female-oriented/cultural/queer readings.
  • Bitterly hate 80% of YA and squeal excitedly about the other 20%
  • Occasionally rant about Issues in YA, or in fandom as they relate to YA.
  • Be skewed pretty progressive, but have kneejerk protective impulses towards the following: rural America, the South, and protestant/conservative Christianity in the U.S.
  • Use fandom terminology and concepts. I don't think I'll get too deep into fandom waters, but if you have any questions, just ask. :)
  • Ridicule you if you think sweet tea is just a cute "nickname for tea with two heaping spoonfuls of sugar added." - Sea Change, 2009
  • Occasionally devolve into a full-on babbling, gibbering fangirl, possibly because you just mentioned one of my literary heroes. I'd tell who they are, but I started hyperventilating in glee while trying to type the words.
My main, primarily fandom-oriented journal, is bookshop on LJ, also duplicated on Dreamwidth. Hurrah and welcome! :)


  1. I look forward to reading your book posts! *is excited* :D

  2. Following you and looking forward to reading your book reviews! :)

  3. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FANDOM PEEPS IN BOOK BLOGOSPHERE!! *tackle hugs* Am so following. I can't wait for your posts! 8D

  4. I will admit to stalking your LJ for your book reviews. So hi, consider yourself put on my blog reader! :)

  5. Seconded with the YAY FANDOM TALKING ABOUT BOOKS (I followed you over from your LJ/DW). Someone needs to make a list so I can put all of you on my Google Reader or something.

    Speaking of YA, I just finished reading a book I think you will enjoy (if you haven't read it already), The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. It comes highly recommended from my end.

  6. Remember to tweet when you have new posts! I know that there will most certainly be some that I'll want to share around. . .